Sunday, October 19, 2014

OTR- Buck Rodgers

For this assignment, I listened to "Buck Rodgers in the Twenty-fifth Century" (in the science fiction tab at otr.com) It was interesting to listen to a radio show like this because I don't think I've ever really listened to anything like this. Of course, we've read books and we've seen movies, but it was this in-between medium that was lost to my generation. First, writing for radio must have been very difficult. They had to create place, character, and even time, without any visual aids. I also thought it was interesting how advertisements were incorporated into these shows. Unlike today, where we have commercial breaks, Buck Rodgers had advertisements built in to the beginning and the end of the story. I thought it was especially funny how Wilma, the lab assistant, ends the show by suggesting they get a popsicle, leading straight into a detailed and obnoxious advertisement for fudgesicles. And finally, I think "Buck Rodgers" was an interesting listen especially because of how they make speculations about the future. Some things are so far fetched, its almost humorous that they think its possible, and some things they think will take 500 years and we've already achieved it

No comments:

Post a Comment