Sunday, October 5, 2014

Gyorgy Ligeti

I'm actually very happy we were asked to blog about Gyorgy Ligeti. After my first 2001 a Space Odyssey experience, I checked out some of his work, particularly "Requiem," which was featured in the film. For this assignment, I chose to listen to another piece by him, "Lux Aeterna." It definitely has a lot of similarities to the 2001 score, as it easily identifies with Ligeti's unique experimental style. The word "ethereal" immediately comes to mind when I listen to one of his pieces. The words "Haunting" and "Dissonant" follow after. This is certainly so with "Lux Aeterna" as it features long complicated cords with dramatic dynamic changes, a combination that creates this otherworldly sound. In listening to this piece with high volume, I was made very aware of the descant soprano line which gives the piece a heavenly charm. Conversely, the low, droning bass notes  give it a haunting feeling that reminds me of a gong or one of those Tibetan singing bowls. At times I could physically feel the sound waves reverberating in my head. Overall, I kind of liked this piece. I wouldn't necessarily rush to buy it on iTunes, but I think it works really well as a score for a film or perhaps meditation music.

No comments:

Post a Comment