Monday, October 6, 2014

Mark J. Stock

After my first look through Mark J. Stock's photos, I was a little disappointed because I didn't see much variation. Of course, the colors and the composition changed, but I found myself thinking they were all "just smoke and squiggly lines" (the J word being one I steer clear of when talking about art). However, the second time I looked through the work, I paid more attention to the descriptions and how they relate to the pieces. I began to see the genius in the work.

Wave for Hokusai

I like this piece for several reasons. First, I loved Katsushika Hokusai's "The Great Wave off Kanagawa." I recall a large print of it in my grandparents living room when I was growing up. I've always appreciated it because of its historical, cultural, and artistic significance but Stock's take on the famous painting exposed me to a new aspect. I had not previously considered "The Great Wave off Kanagawa" as a study of a science, "turbulence cascade."This added a whole new dimension to both this piece and the original. Where I initially saw "just smoke" there had all along existed something very particular and scientific.



Refinery #53

I also really liked this piece, not for any particularly intelligent reason, but because of how well it captures the artist's ability and intentions. First, it demonstrates a great deal of technological talent. It must have taken a lot of handwork and expertise to achieve its complexity, particularly with the lighting. And secondly, I think this piece does a wonderful job of capturing the artist's intended emotion, "despair and loneliness." Within this tangle of tubes, I see a vast and lonely world. It definitely gives off a feeling of depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment